Beef Up Your Bolognese!
Encona Jamaican Jerk Chicken with Rice and Peas
A true Jamaican favourite which you can now prepare without the fuss! Deliciously aromatic and spiced, this recipe works great with pork too. Enjoy!
|Preparation time||30, plus marinating time mins|
|Cooking time||30 mins|
- 4 chicken thighs and 4 chicken drumsticks
- 1 bottle of 142ml Encona Jamaican Jerk BBQ Sauce
- 1 tbsp parsley, chopped
For the rice:
- 200g long grain rice, soaked for 10 minutes then rinsed and drained
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 400ml coconut milk
- 300ml chicken stock
- 1 tin of red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 lemon grass stalk, root slightly crushed Salt and milled black pepper.
How to do it
- Wash and dry the chicken pieces. Make 3-4 slashes across the skin-side of the chicken about 1cm deep. Place the chicken into a bowl and pour over the Encona Jamaican Jerk BBQ Sauce, chopped parsley and mix well.
- Cover the chicken with cling-film and ideally leave to marinate overnight in the fridge or for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Cook the chicken over a medium heated barbecue or under a grill for 25-30 minutes, turning occasionally and brushing with any left over marinade.
- Meanwhile, to make the rice, add the onion, coconut milk, chicken stock, bay leaves and lemon grass to a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer. Add the rice and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After 15 minutes, add the red kidney beans, parsley and season with salt and pepper. When the rice has softened, transfer to a serving bowl and serve with the Jerk chicken. Enjoy!