Chicken Soup (Jamaican Saturday Soup)
|Cooking time||75 mins|
- 2 Chicken thighs (cut up in pieces) seasoning:
- 2 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 stalk Scallion
- 1 Onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 4 Pimento Berries (Allspice)
- 2 lb. Pumpkin Squash or Butternut squash (cut up into 1 inch pieces)
- ½ lb. Yellow Yam
- 3 Potatoes
- 2 carrots
- Dumplings 2 sprig.
- 1 pkt Jamaican Grace Chicken Noodle or Grace Cock Soup
How to do it
1. In a medium size stock pot, stir fry chicken pieces, seasoning and butternut squash for 10 - 15 mins. Add boiling water bring level to half. Bring water to a boil leave on a medium flame for 30 minutes.
2. Peel the skins off the yellow yam and potatoes and wash these root vegetables in cold water to remove the dirt. Cut each vegetable into four slices and then add them to the pot.
3.You can add spinners (small dumplings) to the soup at this time if you wish. (Flour, salt and water to form a dough - this should not be sticky) The heat should be turned to high at this point. Boil for 15 minutes.
4. Now you can add the rest of the ingredients to the pot, turn the fire down to medium, and cook for another 10 minutes. Then simmer for another 5 minutes.
5.Check the yellow yam to make sure it is soft. If not, cook until it becomes soft but not mushy.