Fiery Salmon Rice Pelau!
Grace Ackee and Saltfish Dumplings with Encona Sweet Mango Chilli Dip
- Half of a 397g can Grace Saltfish, drained and flaked
- 5tbsp of a 540ml can Dunnís River or Grace Ackee, drained
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Half a red pepper, finely diced
- Half a green pepper, finely diced
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 large tomato, de-seeded and finely diced
- 2 tsp freshly chopped thyme (or a large pinch of dried)
- 1 tsp Encona Hot Pepper Sauce
- Vegetable oil for frying
For the dough bites:
- 400g (14oz) self-raising flour
- A pinch of caster sugar
- A pinch of salt
- Cold water
- Serve with Encona Sweet Mango Chilli Dip
How to do it
1. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and gently cook the red and green peppers, onions, thyme and diced tomato for 2-3 minutes or until softened but not coloured.
2 Stir in the Grace Saltfish, cook for a further minute then add the Dunnís River or Grace Ackee. Stir in the Encona Hot Pepper Sauce. Allow the mixture to cool. For the dough bites...
3 Sift the flour into a large bowl with the sugar and salt. Adding a tablespoon of cold water at a time, work the flour and water together with your fingertips to form smooth pliable dough. It does not want to be sticky or too dry.
4 Divide the dough into 10 -12 equal pieces and roll each out to a circle 9cm diameter. Place a teaspoonful of the Dunnís River or Grace Ackee and Saltfish mixture in the centre, then gather up the pastry edges to enclose the filling. Crimp the pastry edges together to seal and form small dumplings.
5 Using a heavy based deep saucepan, large wok or a deep frying pan, heat enough oil to just cover the dumplings Ė but do not fill the saucepan more than a third full with oil. The best way for testing when the oil is hot enough is to throw a small cube of bread into it and if it turns golden brown in 60 seconds, the oil is ready to fry in.
6 Cook the dumplings a few at a time for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown. Turn them as they cook to brown them evenly and do not allow the oil to get too hot otherwise the pastry will brown too quickly on the outside and not cook all the way through. Using a long slotted spoon, drain and transfer the cooked dumplings onto an absorbent kitchen towel. Cook the remaining batch.
7 Delicious served with Encona Sweet Mango Chilli Dip.
Chefís Tip: An electric deep fat fryer is ideal for cooking the dumplings in. The thermostat ensures the oil is kept at the optimum temperature for best cooking results. Never leave a saucepan of hot oil unattended.